Tuesday, June 25, 2013

29 Hours



In the grand scheme of things, I barely have any time at all in Senegal, but I hope I'll be able to see at least some of the beauty so eloquently described by this author. 

For years, I have imagined Africa. When I was very young, it was the continent I always wanted to visit, and my admiration for the continent, and the desire to understand the lives of those who live there, only grew as I aged and learned about the unique cultures, countries, and languages of Africa. However, going to Africa was something I never knew I could actually do: for years, I dreamed about the vast savannas and colorful coastal plains, the mountains, the valleys, the churches and mosques and cities where traditional and modern lived on the same block, never knowing whether I would experience it for myself. I dreamed about the downtown markets, bustling with activity, not knowing if I would ever visit one. I dreamed about the west coast of Africa, so much unspoiled, without knowing if I would ever see for myself the African sunset over the eastern Atlantic. 

But now, I leave in 29 hours; one day. Destination: Dakar, Senegal. Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment