Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Patagonia, Rio Negro, Mi Espanol, DC, and Danza Kuduro

If you can't tell from the title, this isn't going to be a very focused post!

I should be going to bed right now - I need to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow to get to DC early. You won't hear me complaining about getting up early to go to DC! I love that city - I usually spend the day walking around, though tomorrow my itinerary will be interrupted by the fact that I have an appointment to get an apostille of my background check from the Department of State for my Argentine visa. Ah, well, I still have plenty of cupcake-getting, traffic-dodging, and metro-riding time even with my appointment!

I love DC - I love it because I've had unique adventures there (to say the least: ending up in Uruguay, silly and interesting tourists, crazy drivers, bad and wonderful Chinese food, creepy strangers, and the like). It's interesting to see, thinking of places that I have made connections with, places I have a unique relationship with, that the most important factor in determining whether a place is a place I "love" is whether I've had unique, everyday experiences in that city. Besides the places I've lived, DC and Ocean City, Maryland, are the places I have the strongest connections to - both cities in which I've had many "everyday" experiences in, such as walking around and getting hot chocolate. It's too late to truly think properly, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the best way to get to know and love a place and to truly "take a piece" of that place with you when you leave is to have everyday experiences in that place, not to visit the coolest attractions or run around trying to see the entire city.

Anyway...a change of topic, brought to you by random Patagonia pictures I found on the internet!

GENERAL ROCA! Mi ciudad nuevo! Says the internet - for all I know, this picture could be of some city in Nevada, as there aren't really any specific identifying characteristics. Isn't the sky beautiful though? I posted on the 2013/2014 Argentina exchange students group on Facebook at one point, saying I was going to General Roca, and someone who lives in General Roca commented saying " Welcome to the best city in the world". Seeing pictures of General Roca makes me so excited to see the city for myself!

I realize that this paragraph had no transitions between thoughts and probably didn't make sense to anyone's brain except my own excited brain. Oh well. 

A penguin - which can only be found in the southern Andes, the very south of Patagonia, and the southeast Atlantic coastal regions of Patagonia. Therefore, there are no penguins in General Roca.

Lastly, because I need to get off here, finish an email, and go to bed to get up at 4:30 AM, I'll leave you with one of the theme songs of my outbound life: Don Omar's "Danza Kuduro"!


No comments:

Post a Comment