Thursday, June 13, 2013

Senegal Countdown: 14 Days

Time flies.

I don't think I've expressed this before on my blog, but do forgive me if I'm repeating myself: in September of 2012, when I was waiting for exchange applications to be released, everything moved so slowly. It seemed like ages before I would apply, get an interview, or receive an acceptance or rejection. However, once I received interview notifications, everything seemed to move so quickly! In late January, I received interview notifications; in early February, I had interviews; in mid-February, I submitted my Speedwell application; in mid-February, I learned about the CIEE Leadership Academy scholarship; at the very end of February, I submitted my CIEE app; in mid-March, I received my CIEE scholarship award notification; in mid-late March, I received my Speedwell notification; in mid-April, CBYX notifications started; in mid-late April, I received my CBYX alternate notice. Everything seemed to move so quickly - it seemed like, for a couple of months, something major was happening with my applications every two weeks or so. The point is, time has been flying.

Now, it's only fourteen days until I depart for Senegal.

Wow.

I'm doing a round of practice packing now, to make sure everything fits in my backpack. It definitely should - I just have to figure out some small details of packing and what to bring now, such as what to do about adapters and camera batteries. I added my bug wipes to my bag today - they came in the mail this afternoon, which was surprising, as I only ordered them two days ago.

I'm prepared though, to leave for Senegal. I have my Megabus ticket to New York, and besides those few items I still have to buy/figure out what I'm going to do about them, I'm basically ready to go. The only thing else I need to do is sort out my debit card (as it's much easier to get Senegalese currency once in the country as opposed to trying to order it from the US).

However, though I'm prepared to leave for Senegal now, it's good that I still have two more weeks here - because of the Argentine visa process! I have to get documents notarized, drive to Annapolis for an Apostille stamp, sending a form to Harrisburg for an Apostille stamp, and get my birth certificate and FBI background check translated before I leave. Then, my parents will only need to take care of a couple of things while I'm in Senegal - sending documents off to Harrisburg and DC for Apostille stamps - which will enable us to get an appointment at the Embassy in DC to submit all of these documents and hopefully promptly receive my visa. It's an extended process alright - I've heard the Argentine visa process is one of the most difficult for exchange students, and, well, that seems to be true! On the contrary, my exchange friends headed to Germany only need to go somewhere once they get to Germany (I know, how vague), to get a visa.

This post has gotten a bit off topic (not sure if I had an intended topic to begin with), but, hey, it's an update on how the process is going - it's moving along, slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment