Thursday, January 24, 2013

Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2013

Exchange and end-of-the-semester stuff has, thankfully, distracted me from the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. In December, I submitted three photos (taken with my old, not-great camera, so I'm not expecting anything) and a handful of writing pieces (poetry collections and short stories). Last year, I won a few awards, so I'm interested to see whether I'll be able to win anything in the high school category this year. I'll find out if I've won anything by the end of the first week of February - it feels like time has flew since I submitted my pieces!

I'm not expecting much, as my short short stories were kind of mediocre. It would be nice to get some sort of recognition for at least one of my poetry collections, though, because I edited them for weeks.

I'm just going to share, now that I'm rereading them, a couple quotes from my Scholastic Art and Writing Awards entries:

"your ideologies are weaponry,
near concealed by the wings of society,but where is your dignity?"    - From the poem "Hypocrisy" 


"they are gods of cold metal machine guns and

semiautomatics in a world where
they will call you prisoners"   - From the poem "Song of Bagpipes" 

"i am
predictable stealthy darkness and
you are young; kingdom come, i
dream the same dream every night." - From the poem "I Dream the Same Dream Every Night"

"your hurricanes would
have been lost to me behind
edges of rational thought poured
into my mind from outside sources
you ignored" - From the poem "To My Martyr Sister From Before"

"I am believer, in your nonexistent God,
 united we are by blood" - From the poem "There Are No Second Chances in My World"

"3. (microscope and a map)
i explore faith
(Brahman, Shiva,
God, Mother Nature, Allah)
with deities stolen
from strangers and
swiftly returned"  - From the poem "Autobiography"


No comments:

Post a Comment