Friday, March 22, 2013

Looking to the Other Side of the Equator


Can you guess what this picture means?

Last summer, when I first found out about YES and decided I need to apply for a foreign exchange scholarship, I made a deal. When I knew what country I was going to or had a scholarship for a year program, I’d cut my hair. At that point, my hair hadn’t been cut in a bit over two years.

Since last summer, my hair’s grown a significant bit more. My old ends turned basically blonde, and my hair reached my waist, took forever to brush, and even got stuck in my tennis racquet often during my follow-though. Despite that, it was pretty, I have to say – a long, flowing waterfall of wavy, sometimes messy hair. Looking at my hair in this picture, I think you can make a guess as to my scholarship status.

I received the Speedwell scholarship. I was notified of my scholarship status on Wednesday, March 19th, at approximately 5:50 PM. I was on Facebook, sending a message to a fellow Speedwell and CBYX applicant, saying that applicants to another AFS scholarship were beginning to hear back, so maybe we Speedwell folk would be next. The phone rang, and I hurried to get it – not because I thought I’d hear back about Speedwell, but because I have a habit of answering the phone quickly, or figuring out who’s calling. When the lovely volunteer told me she was calling from AFS, I immediately knew the purpose of her call.

I must say, during these months, I frequently thought of what it would be like to receive a call of acceptance. I imagined myself feeling relieved, like the burden of uncertainty of the past nine months had been lifted off my shoulders. Instead, I felt as excited as I did the first day I learned about foreign exchange.

Later that night, still slightly in shock, I wondered, “So what do I do now?” For the past nine months, I’d been counting down dates, hoping for acceptance, dreaming of notifications. What was I supposed to do now? Now, I was in the next stage, and the life of applying – of worrying about essay responses and interview questions, was over. Several times today and yesterday, I’ve caught myself starting to think, “How many days until I know?”, simply because thinking that has become immensely familiar.

Now, I feel as though I’ve transitioned into this new stage. Now, I’m hoping for acceptance to Argentina but thinking it’s fairly likely. I’m not holding back my dreams of exchange, I’m dreaming of Argentina, I’m dreaming of the life I could live and the people I could meet while recognizing that the life I live and the people I meet will be completely different from anything I could possibly imagine. I’m thinking of second passports, of visas, of packing, of Speedwell orientation in May (so, so excited), and of departure city orientation. I’m talking to my friends about going now, not about maybe going. We’re dreaming about places that will become real to us, not just exotic lands, because we have an opportunity that so many people won’t even think of as a possibility.

I am fourteen years old. I’m going to spend a year in a foreign land and a month in another foreign land. I’m going to learn so much and change so much and become so much more than I am.

I realized, assuming I am accepted to Argentina, I will have been to four continents by my 15th birthday. For a thoroughly middle-class kid from a rural district of southern Pennsylvania, this is a dream come true, a dream that wouldn’t be possible without the wonderful Speedwell Foundation, AFS, and CIEE. I am always and forever grateful to these three organizations because they’re making my dream into a reality. When I think about becoming part of another culture, going to another country, and learning another way of life, there are so many people who say “No, you can’t!” These three organizations have shown me, “Yes, I can!” I’d like to thank everyone at these organizations. Words can’t describe the extent of my thanks and appreciation.

I would also like to thank those around me. To those who always thought I could, you helped give me strength. To those who thought I couldn’t, you helped give me motivation. 

A new phase of my life is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment